Construct a door mat surround in your hall with the Premier Matwell for floors that expand
Create a practical and smart entrance to your home
- The Premier Matwell door mat surround is made in solid brass and available in a choice of 10 smart metal finishes to achieve a quality look to your entrance into your home.
- The Premier Matwell Floating is ideal for coir (17mm thick) and ribbed (12mm thick) matting fitted into a recessed matwell i.e. set into your flooring.
- Use this floating Matwell when your surrounding floorcovering is a floating one which expands and contracts such as some vinyls, certain types of engineered wood, timber and laminate floors.
- If your flooring is non-floating e.g. porcelain, stuck wood etc, then take a look at the Premier Matwells for Non Floating flooring. If your flooring is carpet you can use the Premier Square instead.
- Supplied in a choice of lengths for constructing matwells of any size. Note: these matwell profiles are supplied in lengths to make your own matwell frame but are not supplied as a ready-made frame.
- No screws are involved (just glue) and therefore ideal where underfloor heating could be an issue.
- The finished mat frame is designed to sit slightly raised above the floor level whilst also fixing into the recessed matwell.
- Available 900mm, 1000mm, 1800mm and 2700mm lengths to make on site any shape or size of frame to suit your needs.
- A choice of three expansion options: please refer to the manufacturer of your flooring to determine which expansion allowance you need. The options are small (11mm expansion), medium (15mm expansion) and large (23mm expansion) for both the 12mm and 17mm matwell profiles.
Dimensions of the mat surround profile
- Designed for 12mm thick ribbed matting: see diagram
- 11mm expansion allowance: (A) 6mm (B) 11mm (C) 8mm
- 15mm expansion allowance: (A) 6mm (B) 15mm (C) 8mm
- 23mm expansion allowance: (A) 6mm (B) 23mm (C) 8mm
- Designed for 17mm thick coir styled matting:
- 11mm expansion allowance: (A) 6mm (B) 11mm (C) 13mm
- 15mm expansion allowance: (A) 6mm (B) 15mm (C) 13mm
- 23mm expansion allowance: (A) 6mm (B) 23mm (C) 13mm
Fitting tips for the Premier door mat surround
- Watch the manufacturer’s video – click on Video tab option.
- This is a technical job which an experienced flooring fitter should be able to do at the time of installing the floating floor.
- Lay the flooring, leaving a recessed space for the mat.
- Calculate the size of the mat and add together the external dimensions to determine how many lengths you need to purchase.
- Build up under the mat to the appropriate height (see video) using the Shims provided.
- Cut and mitre the matwell edging and stick in position using a non-expanding cartridge adhesive.
- Fit the door mat into the created recess.
Co-ordinating door bars and flooring trims in this range
We sell a choice of 4 brands of door thresholds and floor trims: Premier, Feline, Ali and AL. Each brand has its own selection of unique styles and finishes. We therefore recommend you choose from the same range if you wish them to complement each other. You can do a search by selecting the relevant range name from the list of options shown under “TYPE” (left of web page).
Looking after & cleaning matwell edging and door thresholds
This product is made of solid brass and hand-finished and therefore the finish may vary slightly from batch to batch. To achieve an authentic look and withstand daily use, they are unlacquered and therefore may age naturally over time, depending on their environment. Please see our How to Guide: Cleaning Door Thresholds