Create a matwell frame for coir and ribbed matting
The professional’s choice of stick-down matwell frame
- Suitable for applying in the home where the surround floorcovering is non floating (does not expand or contract) such as ceramic tiles, LVT (Dryback), many woods and laminates (check with the manufacturer), flat and primed stone. If your flooring floats and therefore requires expansion joints then choose the Matwell – Floating.
- This matwell edging is available 5mm or 8mm high. You construct the matwell by fixing the profile to your floor surface, using the self adhesive strips, leaving your mat to sit snugly in the recess. The aim is for your mat to lie slightly above the top of the matwell frame, in so doing protecting the edge of the frame.
- Made in solid brass for a quality look and robust performance, in a choice of 10 smart finishes.
- Suitable for use with 17mm thick coir or 12mm thick ribbed matting.
- The matwell frame sits on top of your surrounding floorcovering, framing a cut-out section of your flooring where your mat sits. It is normal for your mat to be raised a few mm higher than the side of the matwell edging.
- Supplied in a choice of 4 lengths for constructing matwells of any size: 900mm, 1000mm, 1800mm and 2700mm.
- Self-adhesive strip on underside strongly sticks the Matwell Edging to the non floating floor.
- No screws and therefore ideal where underfloor heating could be an issue.
- If your surround flooring is carpet, then the Premier Square can be fitted to form a mat surround.
- 5mm Height – see diagram. The height is the maximum vertical measurement of the matwell frame. Width of base 11mm.
- 8mm Height – see diagram. The height is the maximum vertical measurement of the matwell frame. Width of base 15mm.
Fitting tips for the Matwells
- Advisable to ask a professional flooring installer to fit.
- Make sure the floorcovering is level, clean and dry before sticking down by peeling off the self-adhesive tape.
- Use internally, not externally.
- Take the finished height of your fitted (non floating) hard flooring and choose the correct height of trim which will allow the top of the matting to stand 3-4mm proud of the metal matt well edging. For example: if you have a concrete floor covered in 6mm plywood and 3mm LVT butting up against 17mm thick coir matting, then choose the 5mm matwell: 6+3+5 = 14 leaving 3mm of matting above the edge of the metal trim.
- Cut sections ordered to length with a sharp hack-saw.
- Use Stycco Flex on inside edge of corner mitres, if required. This is then concealed by the matting.
Examples of installation options
- Please note these diagrams offer a few suggestions as to how this door mat frame can be fitted but are not meant to be comprehensive.
Co-ordinating door bars and flooring trims in this range
We sell a choice of 4 brands of door thresholds and floor trims: Premier, Feline, Ali and AL. Each brand has its own selection of unique styles and finishes. We therefore recommend you choose from the same range if you wish them to complement each other. You can do a search by selecting the relevant range name from the list of options shown under “TYPE” (left of web page).
Looking after & cleaning door thresholds
This product is made of solid brass and hand-finished and therefore the finish may vary slightly from batch to batch. To achieve an authentic look and withstand daily use, they are unlacquered and therefore may age naturally over time, depending on their environment. Please see our How to Guide: Cleaning Door Thresholds