- This Ali Wrap WPC/SPC nosing is designed specifically for stairs fitted with rigid core WPC or SPC flooring 5-8mm thick i.e. vinyl flooring made of wood plastic composite or stone plastic composite. If the flooring is LVT or LVP (luxury vinyl tiles or luxury vinyl planks) then please see the LVT Ali Wrap.
- The Ali Wrap nosing for WPC & SPC flooring is designed specifically for stairs with an existing rounded overhang to the step, the tread being up to 26mm thick.
- Each nosing is screwed to the front of the overhang and then fitted with a strip of matching flooring (inlay), specially prepared by peeling away a 1mm surface layer from the rigid core flooring and cut to size. In this way the nosing matches the stair flooring and has an attractive rounded profile for a professional finish.
- Choose the appropriate profile as determined by your WPC/SPC flooring specification: either 5mm, 6.5mm or 8mm.
- When SPC and WPC covered stairs join to a similarly covered landing or hall flooring, an allowance for the expansion and contraction of the flooring is required. Choose the Overlap Nosing Type for these steps (see diagram). For all other steps where the WPC or SPC is typically stuck down and unable to expand or contract, the Flush Nosing Type should be installed (see diagram).
- The Ali Wrap are manufactured from heavy duty aluminium and available in a choice of 4 finishes: brass (bright), antique brass, chrome (polished) and black.
- Likewise, there is a choice of lengths in these WPC/SPC Overhang and Flush nosings, which can be cut to measure at the time of installation: 900mm and 1800mm. Each one is supplied pre-drilled, countersunk at 100mm centres with screws supplied.
Choose the appropriate option: Flush or Overlap, and then 5mm, 6.5mm or 8mm to reflect your WPC/SPC. See diagrams for dimensions.
- 5mm Flush option: Dimension A 6.35mm, Dimension B 5.5mm, Dimension C 26.5mm
- 6.5mm Flush option: Dimension A 6.35mm, Dimension B 7mm, Dimension C 26.5mm
- 8mm Flush version option: Dimension A 6.35mm, Dimension B 8.5mm, Dimension C 26.5mm
- 5mm Overlap option: Dimension A 14.4mm, Dimension B 5.5mm, Dimension C 26.5mm
- 6.5mm Overlap option: Dimension A 14.4mm, Dimension B 7mm, Dimension C 26.5mm
- 8mm Overlap option: Dimension A 14mm, Dimension B 8.5mm, Dimension C 26.5mm
For dimensions A, B & C please see Options text
Fitting tips for the Ali Wrap WPC/SPC nosing
- To ensure a safe and smart installation, we recommend that a proficient flooring fitter installs stair nosings. The NICF (National Institute of Carpet and Floorlayers) can advise on professional fitters in your area.
- The Overlap option is designed to to be used where the stair nosing needs to cater for an expansion allowance in the flooring, typically where a top step joins up to landing/hall which is installed floating.
- Secondary fix each one using a propriety adhesive such as Stycco Flex. Then, screw onto the tread using the supplied screws, starting in the middle.
- Having made your 1mm thick inlay strip to size, slot into the channel and stick in position by peeling off the protective tape on the nosing – heat may need to be applied for the flooring to bend around the bullnose.
- The manufacturer’s fitting videos for the Ali Wrap are available here (search for Ali Wrap), including a video showing how to peel off the 1mm WPC/SPC surface layer to create the inlay strips.
The manufacturers suggests the 1mm thick inlays are cut to the following dimensions:
- 5mm Flush: 53mm x length
- 6.5mm Flush: 55mm x length
- 8mm Flush: 56mm x length
- 5mm Overlap: 55mm x length
- 6.5mm Overlap: 57mm x length
- 8mm Overlap: 60mm x length
Co-ordinating door bars and flooring trims in this range to complement your stair nosing
We sell a choice of 4 brands of door thresholds and floor trims: Premier, Feline, Ali and AL. Each brand has its own selection of unique styles and finishes. We therefore recommend you choose from the same range if you wish them to complement each other. You can do a search by selecting the relevant range name from the list of options shown under “TYPE” (left of web page).
Looking after & cleaning stair nosings and door thresholds
Please see our How to Guide: Cleaning Door Thresholds