Create a heritage look with stair carpet clips – victorian style
Enhance your runner with decorative carpet stair clips
- These stair carpet clips are Victorian in style and suitable for fitting to either side of a stair runner.
- They are available in a choice of 10 metal finishes: polished brass, antique brass, satin brass, satin nickel, chrome, brushed chrome, pewter, satin nickel, polished nickel and black.
- The carpet clips are sold in pairs and quality-made from solid brass. The clip pivots, a design feature which makes installation simple.
- It is important to note that the Victorian stair clips are purely decorative and do not fix the carpet to the stairs. Your carpet must be fixed to the staircase by another means of installation, such as gripper.
- An alternative decorative feature for a stair runner are stair rods.
Fitting advice and tips
- It is best to fit your stair clips in position on the staircase before the carpet is fitted.
- First mark the width of the actual stair runner at the back of the step, where the tread meets the riser.
- Then measure the thickness of the runner and underlay combined, and mark it off on the riser.
- Then line up the bottom of the clip with the mark on the riser, checking it is straight. Draw an outline of the clip’s plate (featuring the fleur-de-lys).
- Pivot the plate to reveal the screw holes and mark up before making pilot holes.
- Finally, drill holes (suitable for No 6 screws) and attach the stair clip. Do remember to drill slowly to avoid breaking the screws.
- These Victorian stair clips have an invisible lacquer to protect them and keep them looking pristine.
- Therefore, simply wipe clean occasionally with a damp cloth but do not polish.
- If you use any household cleaners to clean surrounding wood and paintwork, this should be applied to the cloth and not directly sprayed on the surface of the staircase, as the cleaner can react with the clips.
- Likewise, if any liquids are spilt on the clips, they should be immediately wiped with a damp cloth. Dry with a clean cloth.