Give a new life to your stairs with the Sherwood fir cone stair rods
The smallest details can have the biggest impacts
- High quality hollow carpet rods, offered in ten metal finishes: polished, antique or satin brass, antique bronze, polished chrome, brushed chrome, satin and polished nickel, pewter and black.
- Fir cone finial design.
- Choice of two diameters of cylindrical rod: 12mm (1/2″) and 16mm (5/8″).
- Choice of reeded, spiral or plain rod.
- Made-to-measure to fit your stairs.
- Supplied with a pair of matching-finished stair rod brackets with screws, suitable for installation with carpets or natural flooring fitted with underlay. The standard 12mm (1/2”) brackets supplied have a 14mm clearance to allow for the underlay and carpet, whilst the 16mm (5/8”) brackets have a 15mm clearance.
- Suitable for fitting on stair runners or fitted carpets (Front Fix) – simply choose the relevant option when ordering.
- Protective finish – easy to wipe clean.
- It is important to note that, like other stair runner rods, the Sherwood carpet runner rods are purely decorative and do not fix the carpet to the stairs; a stair runner must be secured by another means of installation such as gripper.
Tips on fitting the Sherwood stair rods
- The stair rod brackets are supplied with No. 6 screws: drill a pilot hole before fixing the brackets to the staircase, then drill a 4mm clearance hole for the screw shank. It is suggested for softwood: drill a 2.5mm pilot hole and hardwood a 3mm pilot hole. To avoid damaging the screws it is suggested you use a low drill speed.
- Runner rods brackets are hinged: separate, by sliding the top from the bottom of the bracket to reveal the screw holes. Fit the bottom section first, and then place the rod in before sliding the top bracket section into place and securing with the supplied domed-head screw.
- Fitted carpet Front Fix brackets: place the rod on the stair carpet and place the Front Fix brackets over the rod face, screwing them through the carpet. We recommend that you leave at least a 25-50mm (1-2″)gap between the stringboard (side of staircase) and tip of the rod, on both sides of the staircase.
- Fitted carpet Side Fix brackets: screw one bracket into the wood side of the staircase before slotting in the supplied rod and then fixing the second bracket to the side of the staircase.
- Fitting a stairrod to the bottom step (hall or landing level) is a popular option, as it helps to complete the look and creates a sense of flow from top to bottom of the house.
What length to order
- For runner stair carpets: simply add around 100mm (around 4”) to the width of your runner to give you the tip-to-tip measurement of 12mm diameter stair rod to order. For example: if your runner is 690mm (around 27”) wide then you would order 790mm (around 31”) length 12mm rods. Note: the tip-to-tip measurement you order INCLUDES the finials. For the 16mm (5/8″) diameter rod, add around 125mm (5″). The standard 12mm (1/2”) bracket supplied has a 14mm clearance to allow for the underlay and carpet, whilst the 16mm (5/8”) brackets have a 15mm clearance.
- For FRONT FIX stair rods for fitted stair carpets: it is advisable to leave a 50mm (around 2”) gap on either side, between the end of the finial (end piece) and the edge of your staircase (stringboard). For example: if your staircase measures 890mm (around 35”) across, then a 790mm (around 31”) stair rod would look well-balanced. Note: the tip-to-tip measurement you order INCLUDES the finials.
- For SIDE FIX stair rods for fitted stair carpets, it is normally best for the fitter to cut (with a sharp hack-saw) on site as each step may vary and therefore we suggest you order longer than you require.
Cleaning is simple
- All our carpet stair rods are protected with a clear lacquer, which prevents the rod finish tarnishing.
- Simply wipe clean occasionally with a damp cloth and do not polish.
- If you use any household cleaners to clean surrounding wood and paintwork, this should be applied to the cloth and not directly sprayed on the surface of the staircase, as the cleaner can react with the finish of the rods.