Narrow Z bar to join up hard floorcovering with carpet
Discreetly slender Z bar for a minimalist look
- The Premier Slim Z door bar is just 22mm wide compared to the standard Premier Z9 at 30mm wide.
- This z bar is designed to transition from a carpet to a hard floorcovering in a doorway or across a room where the hard floorcovering is fixed and does not “float” i.e. minimal contraction or expansion, including stone, ceramic tiles, fixed laminate, LVT.
- Commonly known by fitters as a narrow ‘Z bar’.
- The two floors need to be level (see diagram below) with each other as the Slim Z needs to lie flat and then fit over the top of the hard floorcovering. However, if your hard floorcovering is slightly higher, stack the 3mm thick MDF strips, we supply with the Slim Z, under the door threshold and this will raise it up 3mm.
- If there is a significant level difference with the carpet much lower then Easyshims can be a useful solution.
- Made with a solid brass bar, with rounded edges, in a choice of 10 smart, unlacquered, metal finishes.
- Available 900mm, 1000mm, 1800mm and 2700mm.
- If you are joining 2 carpets and require a slim door threshold, see the Premier Slim D.
- Only use when joining a carpet to a hard floorcovering that experiences minimal or no expansion/movement.
- Use some or all of the supplied MDF strips to raise the bar to the necessary height i.e. at least 3mm above the height of the hard flooring.
- The MDF strips should be cut into sections and placed at the fixing points and nailed down.
- Once carpet and underlay if fitted, ‘nap-down’ the Slim Z bar to ensure the carpet has a secure grip on the pins, using a block of wood wrapped in carpet and then gently hammer the block, against the top of the trim to gently depress it down 3mm. This will give the carpet an extra firm grip on the pins and can reduce the height by 3mm.
Co-ordinating door bars and flooring trims in this range
We sell a choice of 4 brands of door thresholds and floor trims: Premier, Feline, Ali and AL. Each brand has its own selection of unique styles and finishes. We therefore recommend you choose from the same range if you wish them to complement each other. You can do a search by selecting the relevant range name from the list of options shown under “TYPE” (left of web page).
Looking after & cleaning door thresholds
This product is made of solid brass and hand-finished and therefore the finish may vary slightly from batch to batch. To achieve an authentic look and withstand daily use, they are unlacquered and therefore may age naturally over time, depending on their environment. Please see our How to Guide: Cleaning Door Thresholds