Measuring & Fitting Stair Rods
- Stair rods are decorative and therefore carpets (or natural flooring) must be secured by another means.
- When measuring stair rods, it is advisable to check the measurement for each one as steps can vary in width.
- Most rods are made-to-measure and are, therefore, non-returnable; there is a 1% tolerance on all stair rod lengths - please take this into account when ordering.
- Some rod finials are removable and others are integral to the rod, the latter are normally a better quality of stair rod.
- If you wish to see a small sample before ordering, then please let us know and we will be happy to send you samples in the post.
Remember, it is standard to fit a stair rod at ground floor level, at the base of the bottom step.
Measuring up stair rods
- When buying your Stair rods it is important that you choose the correct length. Please consider our guidance below.
- First, decide if your stair carpet (or natural flooring) is a runner or fitted carpet, as this will influence the style of rod you should choose.
- For fitted carpets, then decide if you prefer Front Fix or Side Fix stair rods.
- Our on-line shopping site allows you to purchase any length of stair rod from 19" to 96" or 48cm - 244cm in 0.25" and 0.5cm increments.
Runner stair rodsWhen ordering, provide the tip-to-tip measurement of the stair rod or carpet rod: this includes the finials (ends). We recommend the following:
|Stair Rod Design||Rod Dimension||Tip-to-tip measurement|
|Crystal, Homepride, Tudor, Vision collections and Blacksmith Ball and Flat (only)||All||4" (10cm) more than the width of the stair runner|
|Eastern Promise, Royale collections and Blacksmith Spear (only)||All||6" (15cm) more than the width of the stair runner|
|Country, Premier, Akeman Professional collections||½"||4" (10cm) more than the width of the stair runner|
|⅝"||5" (12.5cm) more than the width of the stair runner|
|¾"||6" (15cm) more than the width of the stair runner|
|Easyrods||All||Buy the nearest stock length and cut with a hacksaw.|
Front Fix stair rods for fitted carpetsThe tip-to-tip measurement (including finials) should allow for a gap between the decorative finial (end) of the rod and the side of the staircase - the size of gap really depends on your personal preference.
Side Fix stair rods for fitted carpetsChoose the relevant stock length and cut to size with a hack-saw. The end of the rod should be hidden within the bracket.
Fitting stair rods
- Our Carpetrunner rods are fitted with special stair rod brackets, which are supplied complete with screws.
- First make a bradawl guide hole before screwing in the bottom screw.
- For Runner rods, the brackets are placed either side, butting up to the runner, and are screwed into the staircase.
- For fitted carpets, Front Fix brackets are placed over the rod and screwed into place through the carpet, and Side Fix brackets are screwed into the stringboard (side of staircase).
- Brackets are supplied in paired sets, so avoid mixing them up, and make sure you have hinged brackets the correct way up.
- Fitting stair rods on winders involves gradually angling the brackets as the staircase turns. Side Fix stair rods are not suitable for winders.